Friday, March 30, 2018

Arlo Finch in the Valley of Fire

A little while ago, I was introduced to a new podcast called Launch that I knew I had to listen to!  Launch, hosted by a famous screenwriter named John August, chronicles John's journey of publishing his first book called Arlo Finch.  Although John has been a successful screenwriter, writing scripts for films like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Big Fish, this was his very first book and so a brand new adventure

I was intrigued to join him on his journey and hear about both the creative and practical process of publishing a book.  As most of you know, I'm an avid reader, so it makes sense that I would enjoy the behind the scene viewpoint. 


I'm now finished with 5 episodes of the podcast.  He's talked about pitching the idea, meeting with publishers, selling the rights, editing, production, carefully choosing fonts and colors for the titles, visiting where the books are printed and bound, and even going on a book tour to visit middle schools and bookstores.



I've enjoyed hearing about the process so much, that I knew I had to buy the book!

The book's title is Arlo Finch in the Valley of Fire.  It is a middle-grade adventure/ magical (fantasy?) book.  There is some magic and real-life mixed up.  Those kinds of books are always a favorite of mine. Sometimes we refer to stories that seem real but have an aspect of magic or fantasy as magical realism.  I love that genre!  It is fun to imagine that there are pockets of magic hidden in our real day-to-day life.  These types of books make me think, "Why not?!"


Arlo Finch is a 6th grader who has moved to the woods in Colorado with his mother and his sister.  His mother grew up there and, because of some difficulties, they have to return to her family home.  When Arlo gets there he meets a few great friends who introduce him to The Rangers.  The Rangers are a group similar to the Boy and Girl Scouts.  Arlo goes on a camping trip with them and discovers something magical in the woods!!


Image result for john august book tour

If you liked Harry Potterish kinds of stories or adventure stories, I would highly suggest this book!  I'm not done with it yet, but I'm really enjoying it!  There will be more in the series and I would bet they are planning to make a movie.  Check it out!  John August seems like a great guy and writer.  It's fun to support his work!

Here is a passage that's on the back cover of the book:

As Arlo looked around, the walls of his room began to vanish, revealing a moonlit forest.  Only his bed remained, and the frame of the window, thorugh which  he saw the girl.  The world on her side of the glass was sparkling with silver and read and gold, like a palace made of autumn leaves. 

Here words came in an urgent whistper:
"If I can see you, they can see you.  You're in danger.  Be careful, Arlo Finch."

Doesn't that sound good!!  See me if you'd like to borrow this book!  After I finish it, that is :)





No comments:

Post a Comment